- I've been told, however indirectly, by well-known and respected Sci-Fi/Fantasy authors and editors that it's okay if I was written as if I'm white because, hey! The authors are trying their best! They just don't want me feel as if I'm Other-ed, that's all!
- And if I was to ever dare publicly criticize them for writing me as white or for making use of my culture inappropriately, unnecessarily or disrespectfully, I'm obviously too emotional to analyze the texts academically.
- And if I was to continue to voice my displeasure, then I'm not smart enough to understand the issue and being abusive.
- And if I was to still not drop the issue and dare to criticize these arguments as being racist, then I am nothing.
- I'm even worse than nothing if I was using a pseudonym while voicing these criticism, because I'm a coward who can not stand by her real name or someone with a hidden agenda, unwilling to reveal her real name for fear of the consequences.
- And that if my real name is ever known, I would be made unwelcome in both the Sci-Fi/Fantasy fandom and industry.
- In fact, if my real name is ever known, every measure will be taken to reveal and connect my real name with my pseudonym.
- That it's okay if the culture, the philosophy, landscape and clothings of my race is claimed by Caucasians as long as the universe in which this takes place is fantasy-based, "multi-ethnic" and not authentic at all!
- Addendum: That it's okay for characters of colour to be played by Caucasians because again, it's a fantasy universe and whom to say these characters are of my race?
- That it's okay if my race will be portraying a nation who has been characterized as power-hungry and who has committed genocide on another nation, one that has been characterized as peaceful and loving and that will be portrayed by Caucasians.
- Or that it's okay if my race will be portraying a nation so powerful that it became corrupted, mind-controlling and silencing dissenters, and whose plot will be uncovered by our heroes, (3/4) portrayed by Caucasians.
- And look, it will be okay, because it's not like Caucasians can't be passed as Asians. They just need to get a tan!
- And it's not like there will not be any Asians, not villainous nor corrupted, represented. They will just be in the background! Or hey -- sidekicks. Everyone loves sidekicks.
Thank you, Elizabeth Bear (matociquala), Sarah Monette (truepenny), Emma Bull (coffeeem), Patrick Neilson Hayden (pnh), Teresa Neilson Hayden (tnh), Will Shetterly (willshetterly), Kathryn Cramer (kathrync), Macallister Stone (mac_stone), Lisa Spangenberg (medievalist) and Raven Daegmorgan (greyorm). Thank you, Sci-Fi/Fantasy fandom.
Thank you, Paramount Pictures, Sam Mercer, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Deedee Rickets, M. Night Shyamalan and Jackson Rathbone. Thank you, Hollywood.
» RaceFail '09:
- Writing The Other/Great Cultural Appropriation Debate of DOOM '09 (see also gcadod 09 tag) by rydra_wong.
- A Timeline (of the Great Cultural Appropriation Debate of Doom '09) by Willow.
- The Bear Debacle, Part I and I'm not racist, and I'll debase you to prove it! by navia.
- Will Shetterly: DO NOT ENGAGE, An Open Letter to Diversity2009 Organizers, The elephant in the room and RaceFail: Once More, with Misdirection by coffeeandink.
- ven ve voke up, ve had zese wodies and You mean those giant brains are making everyone on Earth stupid? by ciderpress.
- RaceFail '09: This hurts us all by oyceter.
- THE LAST AIRBENDER PROTEST: PRESS INFO, We'll let the show speak for itself: Avatar: An Essay in Images, Saving the World With Postage and A first step in the right direction...but we have a long way to go! by aang_aint_white.
- Yellow (and brown)-face: A History in Pictures and The Language of Casting by vejiicakes.
- BREAKING NEWS ON CASTING (Flushing, NY Write Up) and Racefail Casting as covered by the Washington Post! @ racebending, a community for
[f]ans against the racebending of "The Last Airbender".
- what we talk about when we talk about by ciderpress.
- peppy blonde and stunning by bossymarmalade.
- The Last Airbender Casting Controversy by Gene Luen Yang.
- The Last Airbender - Letter to the Producer by Guy Aoki, Founding President of MANAA.
- Letter to the Producer (pdf) by Tim Dang, Producing Artistic Director of EWP.
- I've got bingo!: The Avatar Movie Casting Fail Bingo Card by annwyd.
- Casting for the Avatar movie and Avatar Racefail Bingo and Discussion roundup @ deadbrowalking.
- Avatar: the Last Airbender Casting FAQ #1, #2 and all the rest by glockgal.